We’ve had a hugely successful start to 2021 here at the Crossing. Although the challenges of COVID remain with us, we’re looking forward to running COVID-Safe programs again over Spring. Below are our upcoming programs that any young person can choose to attend, as well as workshop and community events open to all.
September 5: Making Gullies More Fire-Retardant Workshop
October 2: ReBoot Bermagui Guided Canoe Journey
October 15 – October 17 18yo-30yo ‘Design for Fire’ for New Homeowners
November 6 – 7: Permaculture and Preparedness Workshop
Camps for young people
October 8- October 10: Yr6-7 Landcare Adventure
October 22 – October 24: Yr8-9 Landcare Wild
November 12 – 14: Weekend ‘Green Forest Break’ for fire-affected families
November 26 – 28: Weekend’ Green Forest Break’ for fire-affected families
November 29 onwards: Airbnb entire site bookings (filling fast!)
Thanks to Coordinaire South East NSW PHN and Red Cross for the workshop support
Community Workshops at the Crossing Land
The Crossing will run a series of free community workshops to assist the Triangle Region with fire recovery. Workshops will continue running throughout 2022. More information on Eventbrite. Bookings essential.
Bushfire Local Economic Recovery Fund
In July the Crossing had confirmation of the largest grant in our history from the State Government’s Bushfire Local Economic Recovery Fund. $947,803 has been allocated to the Crossing to develop community-led recovery and become a regeneration education hub for Southeast NSW.
Adaption Works incorporating improved fire readiness $436006 46%
Fire Roads and Fire-Retardant Landscapes Workshops $66115 7%
Koala Country Recovery Crew $170406 18%
Regenerative Community Leadership $275276 29%
The Crossing will use these funds to adapt our built landscape to become more fire-retardant by:
– double glazing all windows.
– improving our vehicle access track.
– renovating our dam.
– covering our orchards with wire mesh to protect against ember attack.
– installing a new concrete header tank.
– building a new workshop and gear store with gutters to feed cement tank.
– purchasing an Atomic 6 fireproof tiny home as an office, staff accommodation, and power generation for the new workshop.
– renovating our bunkrooms as the gear store moves to the new workshop area
– upgrading our solar hot water system and instal a hydronic heating system in the bunkrooms
– renovating our bathrooms and build an additional adult toilet
The funding also includes:
- An expansion of the Badja Fire Roads Workshops which the Crossing developed in mid-2020.
- A Koala Country Recovery Crew. Three trainees will assist the Koala Action Network, Biamanga NP, Gulaga NP, the Murrah Reserves, and the Crossing with fire recovery efforts.
- A Leadership and Resilience Development program for fire-affected people in four shires. This will be run by the Campfires Cooperative and will assist community-led recovery.
There’s much to do at the Crossing! We hope that by the next time you visit you can see some of the changes we’re making.
Weekend Landcare Camps
For young people interested in contributing to Landcare, having an adventure and making new friends
Please book through our website. Check out our Instagram @thecrossingland for pics of past Landcare Camps.
Permaculture Design Course with John Champagne hosted By The Crossing Land
A chance to see the world with different eyes and become a sustainable designer. An opportunity to develop design knowledge in a relevant climate and landscape over two weeks. This is a unique course with seven expert teachers and three days of site visits learning about some of the best designs in the region.
Grafting Workshop @thecrossingland
Learn how to graft fruit trees and develop your knowledge about the value of heritage and heirloom varieties. There will be rootstock and scion to purchase and graft on the day and to take home to graft onto your existing trees. If you have never grafted before, then this is a great opportunity to learn.
The workshop commences at 11am and concludes at 3pm. BYO lunch. Includes a free rootstock and grafted scion of your choice, as well as a cuppa. Discounts available to fire affected families and all funds raised go to the Crossing to support our mission of developing youth leadership for sustainable design.